Jul 7, 2010

We are beautiful!


I remember being a young teenager watching "The Maury Show" and "Montel Williams" with husbands and boyfriends begging for their wives and girlfriends to get makeovers. They would go on and on about how she used to be beautiful and since they had children, she is always in pajamas, doesn't shave her legs anymore, wears no make-up, and always has her hair pulled up in a sloppy bun. I said then, that I wouldn't ever be like that. Little did I know, that's exactly what I ended up like.
I did not do this on purpose, but the joys of motherhood can take their toll on a person. I used the excuse of the baby spitting up on me as to why I wore pajamas all the time. I used the excuse of the baby pulling my hair as to why it was always pulled up in a sloppy bun. I didn't shave my legs as much because my showers were at 10 minutes max because the baby was crying in the crib and I wanted to cuddle with them so they didn't cry. I didn't wear make-up because my hair was pulled up and I was wearing pajamas; so what was the point?
One day, out of the blue, I looked in the mirror and couldn't believe it was me! I was exactly the type of girl that I said I would not become. I realized that my self esteem was pretty much gone and knew that I needed to "get back to myself." And so, in an effort to get back to myself and to help other mom's in this same situation; I have created this blog! Just because we are mothers, does not mean we are unattractive. Just because we are mothers, does not mean that we shouldn't take care of ourselves anymore. Just because we are mothers, does not mean that we are not beautiful. If fact, it's just the opposite, we are even more beautiful because we are mothers.


2 comments :